[Haskell-cafe] Amazonka: is it possible to work around deserialisation bug?

Magnus Therning magnus at therning.org
Mon Feb 18 20:58:23 UTC 2019

Utku Demir <lists at utdemir.com> writes:

> Hey,
>
> I had a similar problem before, my workaround was creating a
> newtype
> wrapper around the original request and implementing
> 'AWSRequest'
> instance by hand. That let me override the way response is
> parsed.
>
> I dug up the code, the override is here:
> https://github.com/utdemir/distributed-fork/blob/edadea209e7e1fda77ca1d37011734771f6559de/serverless-execute-aws-lambda/src/Network/AWS/Lambda/Invoke/Fixed.hs
> And here is how I sent the request:
> https://github.com/utdemir/distributed-fork/blob/edadea209e7e1fda77ca1d37011734771f6559de/serverless-execute-aws-lambda/src/Network/Serverless/Execute/Lambda/Internal/Invoke.hs#L78

That's an arguably nicer way than how I solved it; I just removed
the
bits causing the error since I didn't need them anyway:

https://github.com/magthe/amazonka/commit/1543b65e3a8b692aa9038ada68aaed9967752983

Then I used `stack` to point to my modified version. I wouldn't be
surprised if people on the list already know how, but just in case
I'll
throw in a link to my description of it:
http://magnus.therning.org/posts/2019-02-10-000-using-stack-to-get-around-upstream-bugs.html

/M

--
Magnus Therning              OpenPGP: 0x927912051716CE39
email: magnus at therning.org
twitter: magthe              http://magnus.therning.org/

If you can tell the truth, you don't have to remember anything.
     — Mark Twain