[Haskell-cafe] A Generic Ordering over Types

Justin Paston-Cooper paston.cooper at gmail.com
Sat Dec 28 10:22:23 UTC 2019

Hello,

I've defined a module which defines a Data.Type.Ordering over types
which are instances of Generic:
https://github.com/jpcooper/generic-type-ordering/blob/master/src/Data/Type/Ordering.hs.
I was considering submitting it to Hackage if anyone finds this
useful.

I am using it in conjunction with Data.Type.Set (type-level-sets),
which requires an ordering over the used types.

The ordering works by first comparing the package, then the module,
then the type name. I take it that the ordering as defined is correct
over all types which are an instance of Generic.

I wanted to check first whether this is done anywhere else, or in a
different, better way. Can anyone advise?

Cheers,

Justin