[Haskell-cafe] Well typed OS

Joachim Durchholz jo at durchholz.org
Fri Oct 5 18:34:56 UTC 2018

Am 05.10.2018 um 12:49 schrieb Ivan Perez:

>     The design approach you're after is called "Capabilities". It's not
>     ordinarily described as a type system, and I'm not sure whether it's a
>     good idea to use static types in the first place because there are
>     situations where you want to grant or revoke them dynamically.
>
> In part, isn't specifying this up-front what iOS and Android do with
> permissions, or docker with capabilities?

Even these grant and revoke permissions based on user actions.

What you can describe statically is right relationships - IF the user
has given permission such-and-so, THEN this-and-that activity is allowed.
Maybe that's the way to go. If not: Any alternative should have spent at
least some thought about how to deal with rights being granted and revoked.