[Haskell-cafe] Well typed OS

Vanessa McHale vanessa.mchale at iohk.io
Fri Oct 5 16:08:12 UTC 2018

You'd probably want an ABI for types, no? You'd need a new executable
format (among many other things!).

The question is: would it be worth it? Types are wonderful in Haskell
because they allow us to structure our programs. What would structuring
processes via types accomplish? It would improve the situation with
shell scripting/pipes as you allude, but that's still an immense amount
of effort.

As for effect types - the IO monad in Haskell exists primarily to allow
side effects in a lazy language, so there's no reason I see to keep it
in an operating system.