[Haskell-cafe] Minimizing cascading rebuilds

Theodore Lief Gannon tanuki at gmail.com
Thu Mar 29 05:40:41 UTC 2018

(sorry for duplicate, failed to reply to list)

Haskell is going to be unwieldy if you try to code in a non-functional
style! Your data, however static, should be passed as an argument to
functions that need it. In this case, "as an argument" should probably be
read as "with the Reader monad."

If you want to avoid loading via IO, you can still put your data set in a
separate package. It will depend on packageA to define the data type, but
nothing but your final executable has to depend on it -- in fact, it can
probably live in the executable's source tree. Put all of your logic that
depends on that data (directly or indirectly) in a Reader, and invoke it at
the top level.

Once you've got that down, it's very much worth reading up on transformers
and mtl. I'd also suggest looking at the Rio[1] prelude (currently not
quite to a stable release, but will be inside the month) which is built
around encouraging current best practices. Once you know the tools, this
style becomes convenient, extremely versatile, and helps avoid unnecessary
dependencies all over the place.

[1] https://github.com/commercialhaskell/rio