[Haskell-cafe] Alternative Preludes

Ian Ross ian at skybluetrades.net
Thu Jun 28 12:25:53 UTC 2018

I'd put in a vote for protolude.  I just started using it on a new project
that promises to get quite big, and it's turning out to make life a lot
easier.  Two things I'd suggest: 1. Don't use a custom prelude for
libraries, especially if you're planning to publish them publicly -- only
use custom preludes for applications.  2. Treat whatever custom prelude you
choose as a starting point, not as something that's fixed in stone.  I've
been using our custom prelude as a way to provide common utility functions,
to work around limitations in some of the dependencies we're using, and so
on.  If I find myself repeatedly importing a library module into
application code, I move it into one of our prelude modules.  I'm really
liking the approach and wish I'd tried it a long time ago.

Cheers,

Ian.

Ian Ross   Tel: +43(0)6804451378   ian at skybluetrades.net
www.skybluetrades.net
PGP Key: 0x04490CC0/F4D6 027F 2661 745C 83A5  297D FCCC 0AE6 0449 0CC0