[Haskell-cafe] stack test hangs when using 1.7.1 but completes with 1.4.0

Olaf Klinke olf at aatal-apotheke.de
Fri Jul 27 13:49:59 UTC 2018

Dear cafe,

I recently upgraded (with some trouble) to stack-1.7.1 from 1.4.0. I have an older project using lts-9.2 that builds just fine when using the new stack, but it hangs on `stack test`. The difference is shown below. I suspect it is something that needs to be upgraded alongside stack. Maybe Cabal? Upgrading stack was troublesome because of different index formats, which is why using the other stack causes the rebuilds of my extra-deps, I suppose. When using stack --verbosity debug I see messages of the form

Error while decoding $HOME/.stack/indices/Hackage/01-index.cache
(this might not be an error, when switching between stack versions)

Any help welcome.
Olaf

$> /usr/bin/stack-1.7.1 test
Populated index cache.
$MYPACKAGE: unregistering (missing dependencies: glpk-hs)
gasp-1.0.1.0: unregistering (old configure information not found)
glpk-hs-0.5: unregistering (missing dependencies: gasp)
gasp-1.0.1.0: configure
gasp-1.0.1.0: build
gasp-1.0.1.0: copy/register
glpk-hs-0.5: configure
glpk-hs-0.5: build
glpk-hs-0.5: copy/register
$MYPACKAGE: configure (lib + exe + test)
Configuring $MYPACKAGE...
$MYPACKAGE: build (lib + exe + test)
Preprocessing library $MYPACKAGE...
<<< some more output ... >>>
Registering $MYPACKAGE...
$MYPACKAGE: test (suite: $PACKAGENAME-test)
<<< with --verbosity debug >>>
[debug] Run process within $PACKAGEDIR/: $PACKAGEDIR/.stack-work/dist/x86_64-linux/Cabal-1.24.2.0/build/$PACKAGENAME-testStub/$PACKAGENAME-testStub
@(src/Stack/Build/Execute.hs:1711:27)
Progress 1/2: $MYPACKAGE
<<< Hangs from here on, does not consume CPU cycles >>>

$> /usr/bin/stack-1.4.0 test
Populated index cache.
$MYPACKAGE: unregistering (missing dependencies: glpk-hs)
gasp-1.0.1.0: unregistering (old configure information not found)
glpk-hs-0.5: unregistering (missing dependencies: gasp)
gasp-1.0.1.0: configure
gasp-1.0.1.0: build
gasp-1.0.1.0: copy/register
glpk-hs-0.5: configure
glpk-hs-0.5: build
glpk-hs-0.5: copy/register
$MYPACKAGE: configure (lib + exe + test)
Configuring $MYPACKAGE...
$MYPACKAGE: build (lib + exe + test)
Preprocessing library $MYPACKAGE...
<<< some more output >>>