[Haskell-cafe] HsOpenSSL doesn't build

fr33domlover fr33domlover at riseup.net
Sun Feb 25 07:47:35 UTC 2018

Hello Haskellers,

For a long time I did my Haskell coding on a laptop running Trisquel 7
GNU/Linux, 64-bit. I had stack installed from FPComplete's debian repo,
and GHC 7.10.3 installed from hvr's PPA. I was working, among other
things, on a program that I built last time with LTS 6.5 and everything
was okay.

Then I moved to a new laptop, now I run Devuan Jessie (which is
basically the same as Debian 8 Jessie), 64-bit, and I have stack
installed using the script provided by the stack website, and GHC
installed using `stack setup`. I'm trying to build the very same
program, and I get this:

    Configuring HsOpenSSL-0.11.1.1...
    Cabal-simple_mPHDZzAJ_2.0.1.1_ghc-7.10.3: Missing dependencies on
    foreign libraries:
    * Missing C libraries: crypto, ssl
    This problem can usually be solved by installing the system
    packages that provide these libraries (you may need the "-dev"
    versions). If the libraries are already installed but in a
    non-standard location then you can use the flags
    --extra-include-dirs= and --extra-lib-dirs= to specify where they
    are.

I thought maybe my OpenSSL version is too old. That's a bit weird
because it seems to be more recent than the Trisquel one (well,
basically same version, just some micro version being a bit higher),
but still, I decided to try a few things:

- I installed OpenSSL 1.1 using Guix and used the flags mentioned above
  to point to Guix's include and dir paths
- I downloaded OpenSSL 1.1 release tarball, built from source,
  installed, pointed stack to that location
- In those extra dirs I listed all the system ones like /lib
  and /usr/lib just in case
- I updated stack to the latest release, and did stack setup
  --upgrade-cabal and installed alex and happy because stack complained
  no package was providing them
- I deleted .stack-work and ~/.stack and did a totally clean build

But nothing works, I'm still getting this error. On the older laptop
everything works.

How do I go about solving this? I don't know what else to try or how to
make `stack build` look in the paths I provide and see the OpenSSL
library there and use it.

Thanks in advance for any clues!!!

--
fr33