[Haskell-cafe] Arrow laws of Netwire

Ivan Perez ivanperezdominguez at gmail.com
Sun Feb 18 09:17:36 UTC 2018

Hi

> However, unless you have a strong reason to use arrowized FRP I would
recommend that you go with one of the first-class FRP libraries.

TL;DR: Shameless self promotion ahead: we built an elementary library that
seems to subsume many others, including AFRP and Classic FRP libraries, I'd
like to know how it compares.

Seeing what's just been said about netwire, I'd like to ask how these
compare to each other. Among themselves, and also in relation to a separate
construct that Manuel Bärenz and I built (note: I am the Yampa maintainer;
Yampa is alive and well and more updates are coming your way :) ).

In 2016 we published an article [1; mirror: 4] and a library [2] which aim
at merging ideas in this field. I always thought they were pretty powerful,
and so far I haven't found many limitations. (But I am biased, so maybe not
the ideal judge.)

It combines the CPS-based arrowized construct of Yampa with a monad, in a
tiny definition:

newtype MSF m a b = MSF { step :: a -> m (b, MSF m a b) }

So, you provide one input sample and get, in a monadic context, an output
and a continuation. Next time you provide the next input to the
continuation, and so on.

You can define stream as:

type MStream m b = MSF m () b

You can define sinks as:

type MSink m a = MSF m a ()

They have really cool properties [3], for instance, they are arrows, and if
the monad is commutative then the arrow is commutative. We have instances
for many other Arrow* classes.

You can also define FRP on top of it, in the time-continuous sense, by
using a Reader monad:

type YampaSF a b = MSF (Reader Time) a b

We have a version of Yampa defined on top of this that runs full (free and
commercial) games just fine. It's API compatible (for what it implements).

And, you can define classic FRP signals (and sinks, a-la reactive banana
and, if paired, more similar to Daniel Winograd-Cort's work or Keera Hails):

type Signal a = MStream Time a

So you can use applicative style:

s :: Signal Double
s = -- predefined somewhere

biggerS :: Signal Double
biggerS = (* 100) <*> s

You can do extremely cool things just by altering the monad:
- If the monad is Maybe, they terminate because there may not be a
continuation (and an output).
- If the monad is Either, they terminate with a result. This is the basis
for switching, which we get "for free".
- If the monad is [], they spawn. This implements parallelism with
broadcasting for free.
- You can use a Writer monad and some smart tricks to do continuous
collision detection.
- You can use state if to avoid the bottleneck issue that people criticise
AFRP for.
- You can use transformers to stack these effects.
- You can also use IO as your monad, if you want to access mouse position
and other external stuff, print a log, or sink directly from your network.

So far, I've found that we can pretty much do anything we want with this.
It's simple to use, classic or arrowized at will (you can combine the two).
I'm investigating performance, which for the games I've tried is really
good and gives us flat and low memory profiles, and I believe we can do
some pretty smart things with GADTS and re-writes to make things as fast as
they can theoretically be.

How does this compare to other FRP and F;RP libraries around?

Cheers

Ivan

PS. For whoever is interested, there's the FRP zoo on github that shows the
same example in multiple variants.

[1] https://dl.acm.org/citation.cfm?id=2976010
[2] https://hackage.haskell.org/package/dunai
[3] http://www.cs.nott.ac.uk/~psxip1/papers/msfmathprops.pdf