[Haskell-cafe] GHC 8.2.2 for WSL Ubuntu 16.04

Herbert Valerio Riedel hvriedel at gmail.com
Tue Feb 13 13:35:10 UTC 2018

Hello *,

Even though WSL may eventually address this issue for good, I've setup
a new WSL-optimised flavour of my PPA for Ubuntu 16.04 LTS

  https://launchpad.net/~hvr/+archive/ubuntu/ghc

over at

  https://launchpad.net/~hvr/+archive/ubuntu/ghc-wsl

I don't have experience myself with Ubuntu on WSL, but it should be
simply a matter of using

  sudo add-apt-repository ppa:hvr/ghc-wsl
  sudo apt-get update

and then

  sudo apt-get install ghc-8.2.2-prof cabal-install-head

Then simply add `/opt/ghc/bin` to your `$PATH` (see instructions at
https://launchpad.net/~hvr/+archive/ubuntu/ghc )

There are also builds of GHC 8.0.2 and GHC 8.4.1-alpha (may still be
building as of writing) in this new ghc-for-wsl PPA.

I'd appreciate if somebody could test whether these GHC binaries work
as intended on the non-insider Windows 10 builds and let me know.

Cheers,
  Herbert