[Haskell-cafe] rolling span and groupBy for lists

Harendra Kumar harendra.kumar at gmail.com
Mon Feb 5 19:29:13 UTC 2018

On 6 February 2018 at 00:33, Sergiu Ivanov <sivanov at colimite.fr> wrote:

> Thus quoth  Harendra Kumar  on Mon Feb 05 2018 at 18:30 (+0100):
> > Yes, Hayoo seems to be giving better results, I found more variants
> having
> > the behavior I want, it seems this variant is quite popular but still not
> > in any standard libraries.
> >
> > Interestingly the problem of too many choices and no standard one that
> can
> > be discovered applies to search engines as well. In this case there are
> > only two choices but still it is of the same nature. I knew about hayoo
> but
> > forgot to use it in this case. How much time should one spend on finding
> > trivial function before giving up and making the choice to write their
> own?
> > I wish there was a standard, quick, good quality way of discovering what
> > use.  It seems the Haskell ecosystem DNA encourages more and more
> > fragmentation rather than consolidation. I think the community/leaders
> > should acknowledge this problem and work on making things better in the
> > short/long run.
>
> A Single Liberal Unified Registry of Haskell Packages (SLUPR), an effort
> in this direction, has been recently announced:

Unfortunately, in my opinion, SLURP is taking things exactly in the
opposite direction. I was talking about the problem of choice above and
SLURP is giving even more choices  and therefore encouraging more
fragmentation. We should have just one good choice to stop wasting time and
energy finding the best choice among millions available. Everyone should
focus on making that one choice better rather spending energy in creating
their own alternatives. This is where the Haskell ecosystem philosophy
differs, it provides many choices in all aspects, it may be good in some
cases but not always. SLURP is a technology solution which exactly fits in
the same DNA. Technology can help us achieve the tasks that we set out to
do but technology cannot motivate and influence us in what we choose to do
and therefore ti cannot make the community focus on one goal - that
requires real people leadership. If we do not focus on one goal, even with
the best technology we may not succeed. Just my 2 cents.

-harendra