[Haskell-cafe] Places to write and publish projects that "explain ideas"?

Siddharth Bhat siddu.druid at gmail.com
Tue Dec 25 14:25:58 UTC 2018

Regarding (1), as far as I'm aware, the requirements are flexible, but the
general requirement
is "published a paper at a good venue, either journal or conference". This
implementation
was a hobby project of mine, but I was hoping to be able to justify
spending more time on it
by finding a venue to publish it at.

As for (2), it's mostly expository. The techniques that I am interesting in
showing off have no
known "simple" implementations as far as I'm aware -- scalar evolution,
polyhedral
compilation, some kinds of inter-procedural analyses, SSA, etc. do not have
simple
implementations. Indeed, the goal is to show how to write *optmising*
compilers.
Most
compilers books teach one how to write *a compiler, *while there's a second
course usually on
compiler optimisation. I don't know of readable, clean implementations of,
say, the SSA
construction algorithm, or the scalar evolution analysis.

Regarding nanopass: I think it makes a lot of sense as a philosophy as a
way to architect
compilers. However, there are a lot of nice haskell-isms to write compilers
which are
scattered throughout the literature, as far as I can tell: Hoopl, trees
that grow, much of
Matt might's work on abstracting abstract interpreters,
Scrap-your-boilerplate style techniques,
equality saturation, etc. which are all fantastic, but I've never seen them
under the
same umbrella.

So that's a sketch of the general story I want to tell :)

Thanks.
~Siddharth