[Haskell-cafe] building ghc-8.4.2 from source: undefined reference to 'mpz_powm_sec'

☂Josh Chia (謝任中) joshchia at gmail.com
Fri Apr 20 09:36:44 UTC 2018

You can start by checking whether you have libgmp and whether it has the
referenced symbol, e.g. on my machine, there's a /usr/lib64/libgmp.a, and I
get this:

$ nm /usr/lib64/libgmp.a | grep mpz_powm_sec
0000000000000000 T __gmpz_powm_sec

I'm not sure what the relationship is between __gmpz_powm_sec
and mpz_powm_sec, though it may be just some naming convention.

Without knowing much about various versions of GHC or libgmp, I think it's
possible that newer GHC requires newer libgmp that has this symbol and you
have an older libgmp.

Josh