[Haskell-cafe] Haskell mailing list etiquette

Bardur Arantsson spam at scientician.net
Sun Apr 1 17:24:55 UTC 2018

On 2018-04-01 17:16, Niklas Hambüchen wrote:

[--snip--]
> For everybody's convenience, I here are the key points:
>
> * When possible, refer all matters to committees, for "further study and
> consideration." Attempt to make the committees as large as possible.
>
> * Bring up irrelevant issues as frequently as possible.

Yes, but what about the children?

> * Ask endless questions or engage in long correspondence about such
> orders. Quibble over them when you can.

Well, my story begins in nineteen dickety-two...

> * Haggle over precise wordings of communications, minutes, resolutions.

That last comma should be "and".

> * Refer back to matters decided upon at the last meeting and attempt to
> re-open the question of the advisability of that decision.

I don't we ever decided upon that rule. Can someone re-check the archives?

> * Advocate "caution". Be "reasonable" and urge your fellow-conferees to
> be "reasonable" and avoid haste which might result in embarrassments or
> difficulties later on.

No real isssue with this, but I feel it might be a bit rash.

> * Be worried about the propriety of any decision - raise the question of
> whether such action as is contemplated lies within the jurisdiction of
> the group or whether it might conflict with the policy of some higher
> echelon.

I definite agree that we need guidelines in this area and I propose that
we form a committe to evaluate this proposal and further
counter-proposals that may arise.

I'm thinking something along the lines of the Literature Prize winner at

     https://www.improbable.com/ig/winners/#ig2012

Regards,