[Haskell-cafe] Haskell mailing list etiquette

Niklas Hambüchen mail at nh2.me
Sun Apr 1 15:16:34 UTC 2018

Dear mailing list participants,

I recently discovered a document that contains, neatly enumerated, all
the rules that we as a community follow today when discussing Haskell
topics.

Please direct Haskell newcomers to it as early as possible, so that they
can learn our mode of working upfront, and don't have to discover it bit
by bit.

For everybody's convenience, I here are the key points:

* When possible, refer all matters to committees, for "further study and
consideration." Attempt to make the committees as large as possible.

* Bring up irrelevant issues as frequently as possible.

* Ask endless questions or engage in long correspondence about such
orders. Quibble over them when you can.

* Haggle over precise wordings of communications, minutes, resolutions.

* Refer back to matters decided upon at the last meeting and attempt to
re-open the question of the advisability of that decision.

* Advocate "caution". Be "reasonable" and urge your fellow-conferees to
be "reasonable" and avoid haste which might result in embarrassments or
difficulties later on.

* Be worried about the propriety of any decision - raise the question of
whether such action as is contemplated lies within the jurisdiction of
the group or whether it might conflict with the policy of some higher
echelon.

You can find the full list of rules here (refer to page 28):

https://www.cia.gov/news-information/featured-story-archive/2012-featured-story-archive/CleanedUOSSSimpleSabotage_sm.pdf

Best,
Niklas