[Haskell-cafe] Project idea, seeking feedback

MarLinn monkleyon at gmail.com
Wed Nov 15 14:30:37 UTC 2017

Hi Alex,

sounds ambitious. But you might be able to reduce the scope massively by
relying on existing tools.

Examples:

  *

    Let something like Nagios do the monitoring. I know there's tools to
    control Nagios from Haskell. What I don't know is how up-to-date
    they are, and I haven't seen something that reports internal
    performance data of a Haskell app to Nagios, but that should be
    simple if necessary.

  *

    Let something like Cassandra handle both the heaviest parts of
    messaging between your node controllers and the storage of their
    config data. If you base your WUI on top of the DB, you can separate
    it from the controllers as well.

  *

    Coordination of resources is a variant of scheduling, which is a
    ""solved"" problem. So there should be libraries you can use.

  *

    Logging has been worked on by many a commercial Haskeller. My guess
    is that filtering is just a matter of looking at one of the
    libraries from the right angle.

This leaves orchestration, API connectors, and the DSL as the missing
parts. Which sounds way more doable than having your tool do all the
lifting itself.

Or just use Kubernetes. Whichever is easier. ;)

Cheers,
MarLinn