[Haskell-cafe] [ANNOUNCE] GHC 8.2.2 release candidate 2

Viktor Dukhovni ietf-dane at dukhovni.org
Sun Nov 5 18:29:38 UTC 2017

> On Nov 5, 2017, at 9:37 AM, jpaugh at gmx.com wrote:
>
> A better approach might be to develop a "machine-readable" output format which then is kept stable, and can be enabled with a flag. Git has a similar solution.
>
> It would be a shame to avoid changes which make the user experience better simply because other projects cannot sync their development cycle, especially if those projects are not universally used or required.

Amen to that.  I find the diagnostic output of 8.2 substantially improved
(more useful in locating the reported bugs) over previous versions.  So
reverting to previous behaviour would not be a good idea.

It should not take too long for the relevant emacs modules to be updated.
And they should be made more forgiving of small changes in the output
format (use less precise regular expressions).

--
	Viktor.