[Haskell-cafe] Cabal and IPv6

Mikhail Glushenkov mikhail.glushenkov at gmail.com
Tue May 2 12:58:54 UTC 2017

Hi,

On 2 May 2017 at 12:52, Serguey Zefirov <sergueyz at gmail.com> wrote:
> Cabal internally uses IPv4 calls/data structures, it seems. And fails.

I believe that cabal-install itself has no IPv4-specific code, since
all that stuff is encapsulated by the HTTP library. From [1] it looks
like the HTTP library supports IPv6.

> A proposition: is it even remotely good idea to replace in cabal source code
> all calls to web API to invocation of curl/wget?

This is how it works already when fetching over HTTPS (if you're on
Windows, it can also use PowerShell as a transport method). Try
changing the Hackage url in .cabal/config to
https://hackage.haskell.org.

[1] https://github.com/haskell/HTTP/pull/59