[Haskell-cafe] Cabal and IPv6

Serguey Zefirov sergueyz at gmail.com
Tue May 2 11:52:41 UTC 2017

> ping doesn't seem to have an ip-version-agnostic setting.
> cabal could try both ping and ping6.
> Question is: Why does cabal even require ping? pinging a host is useful in
> network monitoring, but I have yet to see a situation where it is even
> helpful to establish a connection.

Most probably I was not quite clear in the description of the situation.

Cabal does not require ping6. It was me trying to resolve the problem who
tried ping and ping6, not cabal. And I found that all hosts on the machine
are accessible only through IPv6.

Cabal internally uses IPv4 calls/data structures, it seems. And fails.

A proposition: is it even remotely good idea to replace in cabal source
code all calls to web API to invocation of curl/wget?