[Haskell-cafe] [ANN] Compose :: Melbourne, 2017, Call for Presentations Extension - Monday, 10th of July

Lyndon Maydwell maydwell at gmail.com
Thu Jun 29 08:04:00 UTC 2017

Hi All!

We're extending the Compose :: Melbourne CFP until Monday, 10th of July.

Details follow:

(Web version: http://www.composeconference.org/2017-melbourne/cfp/)

# Compose :: Melbourne Call for Presentations

Compose :: Melbourne - http://www.composeconference.org/ - was closing
its call for presentations at the end of the month... BUT, now we are
extending the CFP until Monday, 10th of July, 2017!

Submit your presentation proposal here:
https://easychair.org/conferences/?conf=cmc20170

## About Compose :: Melbourne

Compose :: Melbourne is a functional-programming conference returning
for its second year which is focused on developing the community and
bringing functional-programming to a wider audience. It is a 2-day
event being held in Melbourne, Australia on the 28th and 29th of
August 2017 at RMIT University. The first day will feature a single
track of presentations followed by a second day of workshops and
unconference. Compose :: Melbourne is the sister-conference of the NY
based Compose :: Conference.

# Important Dates

- CFP Extended Until - Monday 10th July, 2017
- Notify Presenters - July 20th, 2017
- Conference Day 1: Presentations - Monday, 28th August, 2017
- Conference Day 2: Unconference - Tuesday, 29th August, 2017

# Talk and Workshop Submission

## Day 1 - Presentations

Submit a Presentation Proposal via Easy Chair:
https://easychair.org/conferences/?conf=cmc20170

## Day 2 - Unconference and Workshops

Contact us (composemel-admin at googlegroups.com) with your workshop proposals,
or talk-ideas. Although we don't require ahead-of-time talk information,
if you tell us about your unconference talk, we will promote it!

# Submission Guidelines

Talk slots will be 30 minutes: 25 minute talk and 5 minutes for questions.

Provide sufficient detail in your submission to enable the reviewers
to understand your proposal and clearly identify what an attendee will
gain from attending your session. You should include the following
information in the submission system:

- Authors - The details of each of the presenters
- Title - Title of the presentation (please keep it brief and specific)
- Abstract - A 300-500 word description of your presentation, ideally
including...
  - Description of the content
- Keywords - List any keywords that will help the program committee
and attendees categorise your presentation. For example: proofs,
Haskell, music.

Please keep the content of your talk on-topic and do not use this
speaking opportunity as a sales pitch.

# Feel

We want Compose Melbourne to be all about the community. We're aiming
to help foster the growth of Functional Programming in Melbourne and
unite all interested parties to spark a unified presence and a feeling
of camaraderie amongst FP and Theory proponents in this wonderful
city! Talks should help inspire and promote this goal.

# Audience

Functional-Programming and Programming-Language-Theory professionals
and enthusiasts. Newcomers, experts, anyone from other disciplines of
fields who is interested in what FP is or how it could help them with
their work, or simply make life more enjoyable!

# Diversity

Just like Compose-Conference, we would also like to put an emphasis on
soliciting a diverse set of speakers - anything you can do to
distribute information about this CFP and encourage submissions from
under-represented groups would be greatly appreciated. We welcome
*all* (new and established) contributions and encourage you to apply!

# Day One

## Keynote

Day One will kick-off with a mind-blowing excursion into the realm of
function live-coded music artistry by the living legend, Andrew
Sorensen! Look him up on YouTube!

## Talks

All topics for proposals for presentations are invited, but not
limited to explore the following topics:

## New Languages

The development of new and emerging Functional Languages, and the
toolsets around them.

## Libraries and Tools

Exploring the use and development of new and underrepresented tools
and libraries.

## Production Systems

2017 continues the trend of many previously undeployed languages and
systems breaking through into production. We're looking for
war-stories, success-stories and sob-stories!

## Theory

Theory is the cutting edge of new functional programming. Show the
world what is rising over the horizon.

## Art and Music

Exciting and innovative usage of functional programming language in the arts!

# Day Two

The second day will be dedicated to workshops and unconference.

## Workshops

If you wish to run a workshop on the second day of the conference,
then please let us know. Alternatively, if there is a workshop that
would interest you as an attendee, then please also let us know.

Last year, there were 5 workshops, including:

* Intro to Haskell
* FreeMonad FreeApplicative FreeWorkshop
* Writing games for Android in Haskell
* Intro to Purescript
* Intro to the J language

## Unconference

Got something random you want to talk about? The unconference will run
the second day. There will be a whiteboard with spaces where anyone
can write their name down to speak. There's no need to bring anything
but yourself and your ideas and speaking voice.

# Sponsors

We are seeking sponsors to support us in putting on this conference.
If you or your company would like to sponsor us, please get in contact
via composemel-admin at googlegroups.com.

You can find info on our sponsorship tiers here:

https://github.com/composeconference/Compose-Melbourne-2017/wiki/Sponsorship-Tiers

--

Compose Conference Melbourne Organising Committee

http://www.composeconference.org/