[Haskell-cafe] exceptions, errors, random

Ivan Lazar Miljenovic ivan.miljenovic at gmail.com
Fri Jun 23 05:16:08 UTC 2017

On 23 June 2017 at 14:54, Dennis Raddle <dennis.raddle at gmail.com> wrote:
> Thanks for pointing me to mwc-random. I like that they provide a normal
> distribution; that is handy.
>
> I think by asking me parallelism or concurrency, you mean do I have
> algorithms that interact as they run in separate threads?
>
> This is a backtracking search algorithm, so each thread can explore a subset
> of the search space with no need to communicate with other threads. Does
> that mean "concurrency"?
>
> This is a pretty simple task. I hope that I don't have to delve deeply into
> concurrency/parallelism.

Parallelism: split data set up, run the same operation on each sub-set.
Concurrency: do multiple things at once, possibly unrelated.

Many languages use concurrency to implement parallelism; Haskell
doesn't: see https://wiki.haskell.org/Parallelism_vs._Concurrency and
https://wiki.haskell.org/Parallel

For a start, have a look at the parallel package:
http://hackage.haskell.org/package/parallel ; in particular, par can
be used to fork off a new thread, and pseq can be used to ensure a
thread finishes before you continue.

Ivan.Miljenovic at gmail.com
http://IvanMiljenovic.wordpress.com