[Haskell-cafe] [Announcement] Haskell game for iOS

Ivan Perez ivan.perez at keera.co.uk
Tue Jun 13 15:14:31 UTC 2017

Dear all

(I hope this is not seen as spam. My sincere apologies if you see it as
such.)

This is just to let you know that we have released a Haskell game for iOS
on the App Store.

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/magic-cookies/id1244709871

There is also an Android version [1]. It's the same Haskell code with just
a few minor adaptations [2] (the iOS version is actually simpler). Issues
with either version can be reported online [3].

I hope this is seen as yet another step reached by Haskell. This game is
written in the FRP variant Yampa, and uses SDL2 for graphics. While the
game is not open source, we've had to extend existing Haskell libraries and
tools to make this possible. These changes will now be sent as pull
requests to the corresponding projects.

We have also developed in-house tooling to make the development,
compilation and deployment process for mobile platforms smooth [4].
Recompiling and deploying a new version online is now automatic and takes
less than 1 minute. These tools also run directly on Travis and publish new
versions of our games directly to stores. We have already started
distributing our toolchain to private users, and our plan is to release
immediately.

We'd like to thank all the users who tried the game before the release,
many during Zurihac last weekend. Also, many thanks to the people who
worked on GHC and the ARM backends over the years, and to all those who
work daily to make Haskell better. We really mean that.

Once again, I hope this is not seen as spam, but as something worth
celebrating.

And, also, that you enjoy playing.

Best wishes

Ivan