[Haskell-cafe] I'm afraid of OverloadedLabels.

Nikita Churaev lamefun.x0r at gmail.com
Sun Jul 9 04:38:30 UTC 2017

So gi-gtk is already using OverloadedLabels to fight the namespacing
problem. What I'm afraid is that eventually people will pick up on this
and stop using normal functions altogether.

My problem with OverloadedLabels is that it is a class: if people start
using it widely, the original modules of types are going to become even
more privileged than they already are: only it will be canonically able
to define functions which can be conveniently called, and everybody
else will have to only define "second-class" normal functions or risk
instance collisions.

I mean yes, it's the same as in most OOP languages, but isn't it also
bad? There must be a better way...

Is there any alternative approach to name collisions coming?