[Haskell-cafe] Issue 61 :: Haskell Weekly

Taylor Fausak taylor at fausak.me
Thu Jul 6 16:05:13 UTC 2017

 \   Haskell Weekly
\/\/ Issue 62
<https://haskellweekly.news/issues/62.html>

Welcome to another issue of Haskell Weekly! Haskell is a purely
functional programming language that focuses on robustness, concision,
and correctness. This is a weekly summary of what's going on in its
community.

## Featured ##

- YOW! Lambda Jam 2017
  <https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLIpl4GKFQR6dqCNb2J0eQFR21Lwnk4I86>
  Videos of 23 talks by Edward Kmett, John Hughes, Conal Elliott, Brian
  McKenna, Bodil Stokke, and others.

- Perhaps not the answer you were expecting but you asked for it
  <https://personal.cis.strath.ac.uk/conor.mcbride/so-pigworker.pdf>
  A collection of Conor McBride's Stack Overflow answers.

- Unit testing effectful Haskell with monad-mock
  <https://lexi-lambda.github.io/blog/2017/06/29/unit-testing-effectful-haskell-with-monad-mock/>
  > While monad-mock might not be anything drastically different from
  > existing testing techniques, my hope is that it can provide an
  > opinionated mechanism to make testing easy and accessible, even for
  > complex interactions with other services and systems.

- Front Row is hiring a senior backend Haskell engineer (ad)
  <https://frontrow.workable.com/j/463B843754>
  > Come change how 6.5+ million K-12 US students learn Math, Language
  > Arts, Social Studies and more. Use data, advanced type systems,
  > great product design and deep pedagogy to change lives.

- A major upgrade to Megaparsec: more speed, more power
  <https://markkarpov.com/post/megaparsec-more-speed-more-power.html>
  > The version 6 thus will aim to be not just a parser for human-
  > readable texts and source code, but "one size fits all" general
  > solution to parsing in Haskell, including low-level binary parsing.

- Derive instances of representationally equal types
  <https://gist.github.com/Icelandjack/d258b88a0e0b3be2c0b3711fdd833045/fe806ce795006be545833742dd1bdcdc31738ca5>
  > I made a way to get more free stuff and free stuff is good.

- New version of FLTKHS with much better error messages and OpenGL
integration
  <https://np.reddit.com/r/haskell/comments/6l85uj/announcement_new_version_of_fltkhs_with_much/>
  > Happy to announce a new major version of FLTKHS, the Haskell
  > binding to the FLTK for easy native cross-platform GUI apps in
  > Haskell.

- Notes on fusion
  <http://teh.id.au/posts/2017/06/30/notes-on-fusion/index.html>
  > Fusion is one of those words that made me recoil for quite a few
  > years, since it sounds extremely complicated and arcane. A few
  > years into building applications in Haskell, I still hadn't forced
  > the thunk.

- SuperRecord: Anonymous records for Haskell
  <https://www.athiemann.net/2017/07/02/superrecord.html>
  > A practical library for anonymous records that is both fast and has
  > an ergonomic interface for both using and extending it.

- Typesafe modular arithmetic in Haskell
  <https://rkrishnan.org/posts/2017-06-20-typesafe-modulus-in-haskell.html>
  > We would like to get a type error (at compile time) if we do a
  > operation involving two numbers with a different modulus. The role
  > of a type system is to represent the invariants and so it will be
  > great to encode as many invariants of a particular value into the
  > type.

- Lessons learned building a toy compiler
  <https://jaseemabid.github.io/2017/07/04/compiler.html>
  > We tend to think of compilers as big black boxes which transform
  > some high level language, let's say C into a binary in one big
  > step. I'd like to present it as a pipeline of languages and
  > transformations, each a bit simpler and slightly lower level than
  > the one before it.

## Package of the week ##

This week's package of the week is Miso, a small isomorphic front-end
framework.
<https://hackage.haskell.org/package/miso-0.1.2.0>

## In brief ##

- Diskhash: Disk-based, persistent hash tables
  <https://metarabbit.wordpress.com/2017/06/30/ann-diskhash-disk-based-persistent-hash-tables/>

- Graphing it out
  <https://mmhaskell.com/blog/2017/6/21/graphing-it-out>

- highlight CLI application
  <https://functor.tokyo/blog/2017-07-01-highlight>

- Idris dependent typing challenge: Bowling kata
  <https://deque.blog/2017/07/01/idris-bowling-kata/>

- The Spiderman principle
  <https://www.snoyman.com/blog/2017/07/the-spiderman-principle>

- What should a PostgreSQL migrator do?