[Haskell-cafe] Suggestions for "Advanced" Topics for Haskell-based Class

Joe Hillenbrand joehillen at gmail.com
Tue Jan 24 21:15:15 UTC 2017

I _personally_ don't like LYAH, but I highly recommend Parallel and Concurrent
Programming in Haskell[1] especially the second half. It's *required* reading
for real world Haskelling.

[1] http://chimera.labs.oreilly.com/books/1230000000929

On Jan 24 2017, at 12:55 pm, Conrad Cunningham <hcc.olemiss at gmail.com> wrote:

> I am teaching a class in Haskell-based functional programming for advanced
undergraduates and beginning graduate students at my institution. None of the
students have previously used Haskell and for most of my students functional
programming is new.

> Because I am teaching this in a "multiparadigm programming" course, I want
to expand beyond what I have usually covered in the Haskell-based "functional
programming" course and cover a few topics in areas such as parallel,
concurrent, distributed, reactive, or metaprogramming (domain-specific
languages, Template Haskell, etc.).

> Assuming my course has more or less covered the topics in _Learn You a
Haskell for Great Good _(with likely shallow coverage of monads) at that
point, what would be good additional topics to cover, libraries to use, and
tutorial or teaching resources to use?  Although I have taught fundamental
Haskell FP topics for many years, I have not delved into any of these
"advanced" topics.