[Haskell-cafe] Using stringize and string concatenation in ghc preprocessing

Ben Franksen ben.franksen at online.de
Mon Jan 23 22:45:37 UTC 2017

Am 23.01.2017 um 22:37 schrieb Brandon Allbery:
> On Mon, Jan 23, 2017 at 4:10 PM, Ben Franksen <ben.franksen at online.de>
> wrote:
>
>> I have no doubt that there are companies and/or lawyers like that. What
>> I doubt is that this is the overwhelming majority, as you seemed to
>> suggest ("...most corporate lawyers..."). All the evidence you and Sven
>> provided is merely anecdotal.
>>

> Mrrr. I was trying to back that off a bit; the real issue is not that it's
> "most", it's "enough to make ghc problematic". The last thread about cpphs
> (quick search gets me
> https://mail.haskell.org/pipermail/ghc-devs/2015-May/009106.html from the
> middle of it and containing a decent summary) indicated that a significant
> number of high profile Haskell users would be forced to drop Haskell if
> cpphs went into ghc, because they'd have to face the uphill battle of
> getting corporate lawyers to okay it again.

I can accept that.

> "Just do it and fix the fallout afterward" is not a solution; once in,
> those lawyers would think twice about reinstating ghc if it were
> subsequently removed, because that's the safe stance legally speaking.

Ok.

So it is not advisable to integrate cpphs in ghc. I have no problem with
that.

Could we, instead, make it easy to use cpphs as drop-in replacement for
cpp, so that it gets used whenever when the CPP language pragma is in
effect? On platforms where the standard CPP is the one by GNU, cpphs
could even be made the default.

Cheers
Ben
--
"Make it so they have to reboot after every typo." ― Scott Adams