[Haskell-cafe] RFC: "Native -XCPP" Proposal

Boespflug, Mathieu m at tweag.io
Wed May 27 21:44:55 UTC 2015

Hi Lars,

I'm really not sure that the community has the resources to spare to
reimplement non-trivial pieces of *standalone (non-library)* software
to address perceived but ethereal "business problems" that are based
on lack of understanding about how IP law works as both you and Carter
point out. Especially if there are no strong technical reasons to shun
the existing implementation, which is perfectly good quality.

Does the above cited compromise...

>> it seems to me that isolating cpphs into a separate process (w/ the
>> option to configure GHC to use some other cpp implementation at your
>> own risk if you need to avoid the cpphs implementation at all costs)
>> would be the compromise acceptable to everyone in the short run while
>> addressing the primary goal to decouple the default-configuration of
>> GHC from the fragile system-cpp semantics.

... sound fair to you?

Best,

Mathieu