[Haskell-cafe] threadDelay delays less time than expected (Windows)

Yitzchak Gale gale at sefer.org
Sun Jan 1 09:42:48 UTC 2017

Bardur Arantsson wrote:
> [1] Bascially before JodaTime made ordinary developers aware of just how
> complex this Time/Date stuff really is and the importance of clearly
> separating the concept of "calendar" time vs. "physical" time.

By "ordinary developers", you mean non-Haskell developers? Because the
standard Haskell time library used Haskell's rich type system to model
the semantics of time correctly long before JodaTime existed. Some
people like JodaTime, but I would be very hesitant to use it until I
see a proof that it at least comes close to the Haskell time library,
and I am skeptical. I have heard that the Smalltalk time library got
the semantics of time right long before even the Haskell time library,
but I have not seen it myself in detail.

-Yitz