[Haskell-cafe] haskell-src-exts 8.2 compatible release

Shayan Najd sh.najd at gmail.com
Fri Aug 18 13:27:36 UTC 2017

Just a quick note that we are *slowly* approaching the point that we can
merge HSE's annotated AST with the new growable[1] AST[2] in GHC.
One major change would be requiring a more recent version of GHC to support
pattern synonyms.
At this stage, we don't expect to reuse GHC's parser to replace HSE's
parser: HSE's parser supports some extra features like Haskell Server
Pages, or regular expression patterns.
Interested volunteers may even try to post a proposal (referring to Niklas
Broberg's papers on the topic) to GHC Proposals[3] for adding them directly
to GHC, hence enabling the integration.

I'm afraid this problem of HSE (and also Template Haskell's AST and the
related utilities) lagging behind GHC will get worse in time.

Cheers,
  Shayan

[1] https://ghc.haskell.org/trac/ghc/wiki/ImplementingTreesThatGrow
[2]