[Haskell-cafe] Investigating single-letter type variables

Tikhon Jelvis tikhon at jelv.is
Thu Aug 10 22:43:54 UTC 2017

I've tried using longer type variable names in some of my personal projects
and found a surprising problem: it became harder to tell types from
value-level expressions at a glance. In a lot of cases, I actually found
the resulting code harder to read on net.

There are still times when I use longer type variable names in my code, but
I now think that single-letter names are actually a good default—I need a
good reason to deviate from them.

I think this happens because type signatures tend to be short, relatively
self-contained and often repeated. I want to be able to parse type
signatures quickly, at a glance. Longer type variables might be clearer the
first time you encounter a library, but they often become a pain once
you're familiar with it. (I follow the same reasoning for using short names
for function arguments and local definitions that are used in a restricted
scope.)

:browse through Parsec and consider how many ParsecTs you see, often with
multiple in a single type signature. With this much repetition, variables
consistently named by connection become useful. Sure, you might need to
learn the convention, but the up-front work pays off for itself in any
non-trivial use of the library. Of course, there should also be clear
documentation on the type definition defining what the variables mean.
Gabriel Gonzalez's Pipes library is a perfect example of how this can be
done.