[Haskell-cafe] Investigating single-letter type variables

Chris Smith cdsmith at gmail.com
Thu Aug 10 22:39:04 UTC 2017

The following probably captures community practice:

a) If the type is truly arbitrary, such that there is no meaningful info to
add beyond the positions it occurs in the type, then give it an arbitrary
name, like 'a', 'b', or 'c'.
b) If there is a convention associated with a type or class that occurs in
the type signature, to which the type variable is a parameter, then use
that (usually one-letter) name.
c) Otherwise, use a longer name.

You seem to be making the case that (b) is confusing.  You may be right,
and I have no particular desire to defend the current practice.  But if
you're wondering where one would be expected to find the meaning, that's
it: find the primary type (or class) to which it's a parameter, and there
is usually a convention set forth there.