[Haskell-cafe] Wow Monads!

Joachim Durchholz jo at durchholz.org
Mon Apr 17 17:57:42 UTC 2017

Am 17.04.2017 um 16:56 schrieb David McClain:
> I totally ignored the Programming Patterns cycle, so whenever I hear
> references to such patterns I first have to Google them. I can
> appreciate that practitioners would want a taxonomy, but for myself,
> I see programming patterns in an entirely different light. I have
> been designing and programming computers for longer than most readers
> on this site have been alive. But programming has always been only a
> tool for me, a sharp pencil, a side channel, in the pursuit of
> physics.

Programming is complicated enough to require its own terminology, so
it's more than a mere sharp pencil.

Design Patterns were a fad, but a pretty atypical one, because the
seminal work (the famous "Gang-of-Four Book") made it pretty clear what
a Design Pattern was good for and what it wouldn't do.
So a lot of the hyperbole was cut short.

:-)