[Haskell-cafe] Wow Monads!

David McClain dbm at refined-audiometrics.com
Mon Apr 17 14:56:31 UTC 2017

What I have been able to grok by translating into Lisp is that Monadic programming allows you to hide implicit accumulators, filters, control-flow (the Maybe Monad). Haskel absolutely needs Monads in order to force evaluation order in side-effecting places. Lisp doesn’t absolutely need Monads.

I won’t really know if programming in Monadic style actually makes better looking code or not - cleaner, easier to grok, performant, organized? - until I try to apply it in anger on a larger project. But I am happy now that I finally understand this often obfuscated beast. The monster is actually a tiny mouse.

I’m old enough now to have lived through at least two major programming fad cycles: Structured Programming followed by Object Oriented Programming. There are always nuggets to be found in any fad cycle, but unfortunately fad cycles always seem to swing to extremes. Psychologists would recognize that as borderline behavioral traits.

I totally ignored the Programming Patterns cycle, so whenever I hear references to such patterns I first have to Google them. I can appreciate that practitioners would want a taxonomy, but for myself, I see programming patterns in an entirely different light. I have been designing and programming computers for longer than most readers on this site have been alive. But programming has always been only a tool for me, a sharp pencil, a side channel, in the pursuit of physics.

Lisp has somehow managed to retain relevance to me throughout this entire period. I don’t choose languages for myself based on popularity. I want to get things done. And I want to do them quickly and move on to the next project.

So, being in Lisp, I am not overly concerned with type safety. I don’t have to live in a community of programmers all contributing to the project code base. I am in complete control of the projects in their entirety. But if this were not the case, then certainly a strong case can be made in favor of type strictness.

I did tons of SML and OCaml code about 10-15 years ago. I used to design languages and write commercial compilers for C and numerical analysis languages. But for my own uses, I find Lisp, on balance, to be my ultimate modeling clay.

Monads were always a hole in my knowledge. I read Phil Wadler’s paper more than a decade ago, and I remember being impressed at the terseness of his little interpreter. But Monads kept being offered with all the extraneous Category Theory stuff, and all the black-box mysticism. Now that I have seen Crockford's video, translated his JavaScript into my Lisp, I thoroughly get what they are all about in languages like Javascript and now Lisp.

They might be useful to me.

- DM