[Haskell-cafe] Batteries included (Was: GHC is a monopoly compiler)

Theodore Lief Gannon tanuki at gmail.com
Wed Sep 28 22:47:21 UTC 2016

On Wed, Sep 28, 2016 at 2:45 PM, Brandon Allbery <allbery.b at gmail.com>
wrote:

> This turns out to be much easier if you assume that Windows and OS X are
> not worth supporting, or are happy with forcing users on those platforms to
> jump through annoying hoops (*especially* Windows; there are reasonable
> ways to get gtk on OS X, even though it doesn't come with the system, but
> Windows is still the Wild West as far as third party libraries are
> concerned --- Chocolatey notwithstanding). :/

GTK on Windows is trivial at this point, with stack and LTS 7+. Try it
yourself:

stack exec -- pacman -S mingw-w64-x86_64-gtk3
stack install gtk2hs-buildtools
stack install gtk3 --flag gtk3:build-demos
gtk2hs-demo-carsim

(I didn't start 100% clean but I don't *think* there are any other pacman
packages required...)