[Haskell-cafe] Issue with building executables using Cabal on Travis

Paolo Giarrusso p.giarrusso at gmail.com
Fri Sep 16 22:48:35 UTC 2016

On Friday, September 16, 2016 at 4:13:44 PM UTC+2, Артур Файзрахманов wrote:

> Hi Café!
>
> Recently we added an executable section to our Transient-Universe package
> and now Travis cabal builds always failing.  The error message is:
>
> In-place registering transient-universe-0.3.4...
> Preprocessing executable 'monitorService' for transient-universe-0.3.4...
> [1 of 1] Compiling Main             ( src/server/Transient/Monitor/Services/MonitorService.hs, dist/build/monitorService/monitorService-tmp/Main.o )
> Linking dist/build/monitorService/monitorService ...
> No errors or warnings could be found in the package.
> Re-configuring with test suites enabled. If this fails, please run configure
> manually.
> Resolving dependencies...
> Configuring transient-universe-0.3.4...
> Package has no buildable test suites.
> Building source dist for transient-universe-0.3.4...
> Preprocessing library transient-universe-0.3.4...
> Preprocessing executable 'monitorService' for transient-universe-0.3.4...
> cabal: src/client/Transient/Move/Services/MonitorService.hs: does not exist
> Installing library in
> /home/travis/.cabal/lib/x86_64-linux-ghc-7.10.2/transient-universe-0.3.4-2OztnD6ZM7W2H3eixltaJX
> Installing executable(s) in /home/travis/.cabal/bin
> Warning: The directory /home/travis/.cabal/bin is not in the system search
> path.
> cabal: The file does not exist 'transient-universe-0.3.4.tar.gz'.
>
> (Full log —
> https://travis-ci.org/agocorona/transient-universe/jobs/160441018, you
> can see that other Cabal builds fail with same error, however all Stack
> builds are fine).

Not sure if you figured (you already reverted the change
in https://github.com/agocorona/transient-universe/pull/16), but the key
error is

cabal: src/client/Transient/Move/Services/MonitorService.hs: does not exist

and the error message is correct. The tricky bit is that this only fails
when you run cabal sdist, not in the normal workflow—I remember being hit
by this at some point.

IIUC you're using the Travis config stack suggests (which in turn comes
HVR's config)—maybe that needs more docs to help troubleshooting? That's
full of subtleties that you don't learn by copy-pasting it.

Cheers,
Paolo