[Haskell-cafe] MTL vs Free-monads, what are your experiences

Damian Nadales damian.nadales at gmail.com
Fri Oct 14 15:35:49 UTC 2016

Hi,

I was looking into free monads for designing a DSL for describing
scenarios of the form:
  scenario = do
    aId <- createA
    b0Id <- createB id
    b1Id <- createB id
    link b0 b1

In our company we use a graph database, and currently we're setting up
the test data using raw queries O.O So I wanted to come up with a
better abstraction, and also enable us to do property based testing
(by testing on random scenarios like the one above).

Anyway, I ran into this presentation:
    http://www.slideshare.net/jdegoes/mtl-versus-free
    http://degoes.net/articles/modern-fp-part-2

In which monad transformers and free monads are compared. Do you have
any experience using any of these approaches. If so would you mind
sharing? ;)

Thanks!
Damian