[Haskell-cafe] Announcing binary-parsers

winter drkoster at qq.com
Wed Oct 12 01:53:45 UTC 2016

Hi Ben!

I'm not familiar enough with attoparsec's internal to give you a concrete answer, since the core parser type of binary and attoparsec is so different. But I guess it may have something to do with ghc specializer, because attoparsec try to parametrize the input type to support both Text and ByteString (which is a bad decision IMHO).

Actually I think current binary's Decoder type can be improved further following attoparsec: the Pos state is encoded directly into CPS parser type, I'll try to see if this is an improvement or not.

In an ideal world, I think we should have a fast parser for ByteString which support both binary's getWordXX and ascii textual content, and a fast parser specialized for Text, let me know what's your thoughts!

Cheers!
Winter

发自我的 iPhone