[Haskell-cafe] Batteries included

Herbert Valerio Riedel hvriedel at gmail.com
Mon Oct 3 07:45:28 UTC 2016

On 2016-10-01 at 03:05:23 +0200, Tillmann Rendel wrote:

[...]

> I'm aware why `cabal install gtk3` can neither install
> gtk2hs-buildtools nor install the C library

If you're referring to `cabal` not being able to solve for build-tools
and installing them: that's being addressed in 'cabal new-build', right
now latest cabal new-build can already install the well-known
build-tools (alex, happy, etc...).

If you want cabal to install C libraries, you have to package them as
Cabal packages first. I did that e.g. with

  http://hackage.haskell.org/package/lzma-clib

for Windows' sake, but it's still an unsatisfying workaround for lack of
a proper system package management for C libraries in Windows. I hope
that something like Chocolatey will become the de-facto standard on
Windows in the foreseeable future.