[Haskell-cafe] Proposal: add Monoid1 and Semigroup1 classes

Ruben Astudillo ruben.astud at gmail.com
Sat Oct 1 23:15:15 UTC 2016

On 01/10/16 15:10, Mario Blažević wrote:
 > CC-ing the Café on class naming...
 >
 > On 2016-10-01 04:07 AM, Edward Kmett wrote:
 >> I'm somewhat weakly against these, simply because they haven't seen
 >> broad adoption in the wild in any of the attempts to introduce them
 >> elsewhere, and they don't quite fit the naming convention of the other
 >> Foo1 classes in Data.Functor.Classes

Basically this. What is popular on hackage should be the first metric to
consider when putting something in base (even if it fits well on a module
in there), we ought to not bypass this.

BTW, I think that Alt newtype in Data.Monoid helps with this use case but
that is usually for Alternative instead of Functor (to me just really
esoteric things are one and not the other), am I missing something else
on this proposal?