[Haskell-cafe] Proposal: add Monoid1 and Semigroup1 classes

Tony Morris tonymorris at gmail.com
Sat Oct 1 22:27:21 UTC 2016

>> If folks had actually been using, say, the Plus and Alt classes from
>> semigroupoids or the like more or less at all pretty much anywhere, I
>> could maybe argue towards bringing them up towards base, but I've seen
>> almost zero adoption of the ideas over multiple years -- and these
>> represent yet _another_ point in the design space where we talk about
>> semigroupal and monoidal structures where f is a Functor instead. =/

FWIW, very rarely do I write a package without semigroups and/or
semigroupoids; sometimes for "not very important" or superficial
reasons, but more typically otherwise. Even something as disparate as a
CASR61.345 compliant pilot logbook uses both packages heavily, and for
good reason (it says/implies so in the law!).

Why others chooses to forgo the advantages is beyond me.

Just a data point, cheerio!