[Haskell-cafe] Quantum Programming EDSLs other than Quipper

Nicola Gigante nicola.gigante at gmail.com
Sat May 28 15:04:32 UTC 2016

Hi all,

Quipper [1] is a well-known library that provides an EDSL for writing and
simulating quantum algorithms in Haskell.

I was wondering if there was any other attempt to design an EDSL in Haskell
to express quantum algorithms.

In particular, Quipper is not able to statically ensure that the algorithm
written is physically meaningful, as one could violate the "non-cloning property",
for example (a qubit cannot be copied, for those who do not speak quantumly).
Violations like this are detected at runtime when simulating the algorithm
or when producing the corresponding circuit as output.

Authors of Quipper already said that some of those properties could be
possible to check “if Haskell had linear types”. The point is that Haskell's
support for dependently typed programming has grown quite a lot in
the last years, and I think that, at least theoretically, something better can
now be achieved.

So do anyone know any more recent attempt to express quantum computations
in an Haskell EDSL that leverages cutting-edge type-level features to
statically check for physically meaningful programs?

Greetings,
Nicola

[1]: http://www.mathstat.dal.ca/~selinger/quipper/