[Haskell-cafe] Mobile Development

Manuel Gómez targen at gmail.com
Fri May 27 16:31:12 UTC 2016

On Fri, May 27, 2016 at 8:42 AM, Justin Wood <justin.k.wood at gmail.com> wrote:
> I'm wondering if anyone has any experience they can share, know of any blog
> posts or anything else documenting the use of Haskell when developing a
> mobile application.
>
> Ideally, I would like something along the lines of having a native UI, a
> language bridge, and use Haskell for the core logic.
>
> My main focus would be getting this to work on Android and iOS. If this
> would also work on Blackberry and Windows Phone it would be a plus.
>
> I have successfully done this using C++ in place of Haskell in the past, but
> would really be interested in getting something working using Haskell.

Here are a few useful links:

https://github.com/ghc-ios

https://github.com/neurocyte/ghc-android

http://keera.co.uk/blog/2014/08/13/most-inspiring-green-screen-you-will-ever-see/

Last year I managed to build an iOS application with the architecture
you describe using the tools in the ghc-ios/ghc-ios-scripts repository
in GitHub.  I never did manage to get it working for 64-bit ARM,
though, due to some issues that were not resolved at the time, but I
do remember hearing of someone else getting it working (although I
can’t quite remember who it was).  The Apple App Store now requires
builds to be 64-bit compatible, so this may be a more serious issue
nowadays — or it may be fixed, hopefully!