[Haskell-cafe] Practical use of Stream's monad instance?

Conal Elliott conal at conal.net
Wed Jul 20 13:50:43 UTC 2016

Hi Petr.

As Tom hinted, Stream is isomorphic to function-from-Nat (Peano/lazy
natural numbers), being the memoized (trie) representation of such
functions. The Stream Monad instance corresponds to the function-from-a
Monad ("reader") instance, so all such trie Monad instances are useful
wherever we want to work monadically with functions but want memoization.

I like Olaf's example use as well: 'fmap not . join' constructs a stream of
binary representations of numbers in [0,1] that disagrees with every
element of any given enumeration of such numbers. A very terse
demonstration of a profoundly important mathematical discovery.

- Conal