[Haskell-cafe] Hiring: Haskell at Biotech Startup!

Andrew Gibiansky andrew.gibiansky at gmail.com
Wed Jan 13 22:37:54 UTC 2016

Hello haskell-cafe,

I'm an engineer at Karius, a "stealth-mode" biotech startup in Menlo Park,
CA, and we're looking to hire a few folks to write software (and we use
Haskell!).

Currently only hiring locally or with relocation (though that could change
in the future, so feel free to get in touch regardless!).

We are a team of crazy biologists, engineers, data scientists and
clinicians on a mission to change forever the way infectious diseases are
diagnosed and treated. We face incredibly interesting challenges in
software engineering, machine learning and molecular biology, as we push
the limits of diagnostics and genomic technologies. We're hiring
computational biologists, software engineers and data scientists.

If you're a software engineer, we're looking for experience in front-end,
back-end, web development, intrastructure, devops, bioinformatics, and
machine learning. We have a varied list of challenges; we build large data
processing pipelines to analyze data from in-house DNA sequencers, separate
the signal from the noise and extract what we need, and visualize this in
ways that are helpful for scientists and doctor; we build web apps and
tools for biologists and doctors to use to plan, conduct, and analyze
experiments; we work closely with molecular biologists to analyze data
generated by these experiments and develop novel computational biology
methods.

Our technology stack, as of right now:

   - Python (for bioinformatics)
   - Rails (for one backend codebase in maintenance mode)
   - React and ES6 (for front-end interfaces)
   - Haskell (for infrastructure and new development)
   - Backed by AWS and Docker

We just put our first large Haskell application into production and are
planning on continuing with Haskell; this is an opportunity to use Haskell
at a cutting-edge biotechnology startup.

If any of this sounds exciting to you, please don't hesitate to get in
touch with us by emailing Greg Stock atgstock at kariusdx.com.

Take a look at our job postings on AngelList <https://angel.co/karius/jobs> for
more detail, though they won't say much about Haskell.

You may know me personally from my work with IHaskell
<http://github.com/gibiansky/IHaskell> and my hindent style
<http://github.com/chrisdone/hindent>; Greg Weber is also here at Karius,
whom you may know from his contributions to Persistent
<http://github.com/yesodweb/persistent>, Yesod
<http://github.com/yesodweb/yesod>, and Shelly
<https://github.com/yesodweb/Shelly.hs>.

-- Andrew Gibiansky