[Haskell-cafe] Fwd: Re: Overlapping instances

David Feuer david.feuer at gmail.com
Thu Feb 25 06:59:48 UTC 2016

No, I refuse to believe that incoherent instances are actually supported.
The documentation must be lying. Overlapping instances are too complicated
for me to really trust. More annoyingly, their existence anywhere violates
some nice properties that would otherwise hold. For instance, from

instance C a => C (Maybe a)

along with

C (Maybe Int)

you'd like to be able to conclude that

C Int

but you can't, because maybe there's a special instance for C (Maybe Int)
somewhere. Overlapping instances also work fairly badly with associated
types.