[Haskell-cafe] Hackage: Tarball and package description of package mtl differ

Björn Peemöller bjp at informatik.uni-kiel.de
Wed Feb 10 14:27:08 UTC 2016

Am 10.02.2016 um 15:18 schrieb Adam Bergmark:
> This is because a revision to the cabal file was published[1]. Tarballs
> always stay the same (because of possible signing, etc) but
> cabal-install will use the revised metadata when doing most of its
> operation including `install', `get', and `unpack'.

Hi Adam,

thank you for the explanation. I tried to install cabal-install taken
from GitHub for GHC 8.0.0.rc2 via the included `bootstrap.sh` script,
which essentially obtains the tarball from hackage using `curl` and then
calls

$ cd mtl-2.2.1
$ ghc --make Setup.hs -o Setup
$ ./configure # + additional options

> You don't say how you are trying to install mtl, is it not through
> Cabal? Either  way, make sure to use the revised cabal file and it
> should be fine.

Okay, I will then install mtl by hand and try the bootstrap script
afterwards.

Thanks,
Björn