[Haskell-cafe] New type of ($) operator in GHC 8.0 is problematic

Rustom Mody rustompmody at gmail.com
Wed Feb 10 07:42:13 UTC 2016

On Tue, Feb 9, 2016 at 8:13 PM, Joachim Durchholz <jo at durchholz.org> wrote:

Am 09.02.2016 um 14:20 schrieb Rustom Mody:

> FP in ACM Curriculum 2013
>> <
>> http://blog.languager.org/2015/06/functional-programming-moving-target.html
>> >
>> spells out this – omnibus language – and such fallacies in more detail.
>>

> He claims this, but he does not back that up with any arguments.
> There's only reference to authority (Peter Naur).

Well if you dont like external evidence of this -- "authority" -- here's
some internal evidence:
An excerpt from the burning bridges exchange from the libraries list

On Wed, May 22, 2013 at 8:39 PM, Ivan Lazar Miljenovic wrote:
>* On 23 May 2013 07:32, Malcolm Wallace wrote:
*>>* -20 for generalising the Prelude
*>>* +1 for removals from the Prelude
*>>* -1 for adding monomorphic stuff
*>>* +1000 for doing nothing
*>>>>* You are all nuts. :-)
*>>* I don't know if I'd go quite _that_ for as Malcolm for the weightings
*>* for the different proposals...
*>>* But I was speaking with a few other tutors of an introductory
*>* CS/programming course that uses Haskell (note: it's teaching
*>* programming with Haskell, not teaching Haskell per se: for example,
*>* all pattern matchings must be done with case statements as the
*>* lecturer considers top-level pattern matching a Haskell-specific
*>* quirk) about these proposals...
*
Casey McCann responded:

So in other words, your contention is that the design of the core
library of Haskell should be driven by the needs of an introductory
programming course, which is not even attempting to teach Haskell
specifically, aimed at students who can't even figure out how tab
characters work? That's marvelous.

My conclusion: Casey representing library-authors and Ivan+Malcolm speaking
for teachers have sufficiently divergent needs to need two different
languages.
Two different preludes+commandline options is a good start in that direction

If you disagree what do you make of Richard Eisenberg's :

> It may come as a surprise to many of you that I, too, am very worried
about Haskell becoming
> inaccessible to newcomers. If we can't induct new people into our ranks,
we will die. It is
> for this reason that I have always been unhappy with the FTP. But that
ship has sailed.

Just as a thought experiment: The FTP had a landslide support on the
libraries list.
How would it have fared on a Haskell-Edu list?