[Haskell-cafe] Language complexity & beginners (Was: New type of ($) operator in GHC 8.0 is problematic)

M Farkas-Dyck m.farkasdyck at gmail.com
Mon Feb 8 16:28:35 UTC 2016

On 06/02/2016, Michał Antkiewicz <mantkiew at gsd.uwaterloo.ca> wrote:
> Every programmer should understand the difference between boxed and
> unboxed values. Period.

Why? The performance of some code is not critical. Sometimes i need
not care about 1 more indirection in their code, and some authors need
never care, and in these cases i appreciate Haskell not forcing me to
care. I'm not saying every language ought to hide this ­– i quite like
Rust, for example – but most times hiding it works quite well for me
in Haskell.