[Haskell-cafe] many haskell's mails are detected as spam on gmail

Viktor Dukhovni ietf-dane at dukhovni.org
Mon Dec 26 16:40:56 UTC 2016

> On Dec 26, 2016, at 6:31 AM, Joachim Durchholz <jo at durchholz.org> wrote:
>
>> My personal
>> preference, which I hope is acceptable to the list community, is
>> to avoid modifying the message subject and body.
>
> Does this also mean you cannot modify headers?

It means that you can add headers, but should avoid changing headers that
are already present.  DKIM signatures generally cover those headers that
already present in a message, and leave room for additional headers.

> That would be bad, because having a List-Id header enables "reply to list" and such.

The addition of "List-" headers does not break DKIM signatures, as origin
DKIM signatures do not cover these (absent at the origin) headers.  (I'm
over simplifying, but the fine points are not important here).

> > That is, the onus
>> of adding a "[Haskell-cafe] " subject prefix falls on message
>> authors (and those who respond if the tag is not yet present).
>
> I never understood why people want to mangle the subject line anyway;
> the recipient is easily seen in the "recipient" column of the list of
> mails. But maybe there's a reason to not have that column, IDK.

Some people really want subject tags.  If they can do without, it is
easier to avoid DMARC trouble, provided they can also do without footers.

>> And the list [message footer is not added.
>
> The footer is actually nice to have.
> But in my book, that's not important enough to hinder dealing with
> spam filters.

Both the footer and subject tags would need to go. There's no point in
changing just one of the settings.  The DKIM signature covers both the
message headers (as present at the origin) and the body content.

--
	Viktor.