[Haskell-cafe] RFC: functor-classes-compat

David Feuer david.feuer at gmail.com
Tue Dec 13 17:06:05 UTC 2016

On Dec 13, 2016 4:01 AM, "Oleg Grenrus" <oleg.grenrus at iki.fi> wrote:

Hi,

continuing pushing the adoption Data.Functor.Classes, I wrote a small
package `functor-classes-compat` [1].

It provides lifted (Eq1, Ord1, etc.) classes for types in `containers`,
`vector` and `unordered-containers`(not for Sequence or Tree yet though).

Thanks for working on this. Obviously, some of these really belong in
containers. I'll try to add them today.

I guess there is no way they could depend on `transformers` to provide
instances in build plans with `base < 4.9`, I'm not sure when I'll have
time to write patches for the actual packages myself.

No, I don't think that's likely. One option might be to add these instances
to transformers when compiling with older base, but I don't know if Ross
Paterson will want them.

Current implementations are naive, but more obviously correct.

More than what?